Close call between 2 planes at New York's JFK airport is under investigation, says FAA

Close call between 2 planes at New York’s JFK airport is under investigation, says FAA

(CNN) The Federal Aviation Administration announced that it is launching an investigation into how a commercial airliner taxied in front of a flight taking off from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport on Friday night.

The crew of a Delta Air Lines Boeing 737 aborted its takeoff and eventually came to rest 1,000 feet from the taxiing American Airlines Boeing 777, the FAA said. No one was injured in the incident, which took place around 8:45 p.m. Friday.

Air traffic controllers “noted another aircraft crossing the runway in front of the departing aircraft,” the FAA said in a statement. “Based on a preliminary analysis, Delta Air Lines Flight 1943 stopped its takeoff run approximately 1,000 feet short of reaching the point where American Airlines Flight 106, a Boeing 777, had crossed from an adjacent taxiway.”

According to Delta, his flight, a 737-900 bound for Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, had 145 customers and six crew members on board.

The flight returned to the gate and was then unable to depart due to staffing issues, Delta said. The flight finally departed Saturday morning, and Delta said it provided customers with a hotel stay.

“The safety of our customers and crew is always Delta’s number one priority,” Delta said in a statement to CNN, adding that it will cooperate with the National Transportation Safety Board with any analysis.

“Delta will work with and assist the NTSB in a full review of Flight 1943 on January 13 regarding an aborted takeoff procedure at New York-JFK. We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience and delay in their travel.”

The NTSB has not yet said it is investigating the incident.

American Airlines had no comment and referred all questions to the FAA. FlightAware data shows that American Airlines Flight 106 was a London Heathrow-bound flight that took off on time Friday night from JFK and arrived on time in London Saturday morning.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *