ROCKAWAY, NJ, September 21, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — electroCore, Inc. (Nasdaq: ECOR), a commercial bioelectronic medicine company, announced today that the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has granted four patents. related to its non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation (nVNS) and other technologies, including the following patents:
- U.S. Patent No. 11,406,825 entitled “Mobile Phone for Treating a Patient with Dementia”, issued August 9, 2022. This patent mainly relates to nVNS therapy for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases such as dementia or Alzheimer’s disease using a stimulator connected to mobile device. e.g. mobile phone;
- U.S. Patent No. 11,432,760 titled “Devices and Methods for Remote Therapy and Patient Monitoring”, issued September 6, 2022. This patent generally refers to an nVNS that includes a stimulator connected to a mobile device, such as a mobile phone, with this stimulator capable of transmitting data to the mobile device, including, among other things, the position of the electrode(s) on the surface of the skin relative to the target nerve;
- U.S. Patent No. 11,439,818 entitled “Electrical Nerve Stimulation for the Treatment of Gastroparesis, Functional Dyspepsia, and Other Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders”, issued September 13, 2022. This patent generally refers to nVNS therapy for the treatment of postoperative ileus; as well as
- U.S. Patent No. 11,446,491 titled “Stimulator for use with a mobile device”, issued Sept. 20, 2022. This patent is another in a series of patents received by electroCore that are commonly associated with the use of neurostimulators with mobile devices such as a mobile phone. . The patent includes claims about a device and method for generating an electrical impulse using a stimulator connected to a mobile device and applying an electrical impulse through the outer surface of the skin to a target area of the patient.
“We are pleased to receive these four new patents from the USPTO, which strengthen our portfolio of intellectual patents,” said Dan Goldberger, CEO of electroCore. “These new patents support our mobile communication platform using mobile devices in combination with a stimulator to deliver nVNS therapy. The addition of these patents highlights our commitment to advancing therapies beyond those suffering from migraine and cluster headaches, and we look forward to continuing to explore the role of nVNS for a variety of conditions.”
About ElectroCore, Inc.
electroCore Inc. is a commercial bioelectronic medical company dedicated to improving patient outcomes with its non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation therapy platform, originally focused on the treatment of multiple neurological conditions. The company’s current indications include preventive treatment of cluster headache and migraine, acute treatment of migraine and episodic cluster headache, acute and preventive treatment of migraine in adolescents and paroxysmal hemicrania and continual hemicrania in adults.
For more information, visit www.electrocore.com.
gammaCore™ (nVNS) is the first non-invasive manual medical therapy applied to the neck to treat migraine and cluster headache by using mild electrical stimulation of the vagus nerve through the skin. Designed as a portable, easy-to-use technology, GammaCore can be self-administered by patients on an as-needed basis without the potential side effects associated with commonly prescribed drugs. When placed on a patient’s neck over the vagus nerve, GammaCore stimulates the nerve’s afferent fibers, which can lead to a reduction in patient pain.
gammaCore (nVNS) is approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for adjunctive use in the prophylactic treatment of adult cluster headache, the acute treatment of pain associated with episodic adult cluster headache, and the acute and prophylactic treatment of migraine in adolescents. 12 years and older) and adult patients, as well as paroxysmal hemicrania and hemicrania continuum in adult patients. gammaCore is CE marked in the European Union for the acute and/or prophylactic treatment of primary headache (migraine, cluster headache, trigeminal
autonomic cephalgia and continuous hemicrania) and headache from drug overuse in adults.
GammaCore is contraindicated in patients if they:
- Have an active implantable medical device such as a pacemaker, hearing aid implant, or any implantable electronic device.
- Having a metal device such as a stent, bone plate, or bone screw implanted in or near the neck.
- Using another device at the same time (e.g. TENS unit, pacemaker) or any portable electronic device (e.g. mobile phone)
The safety and efficacy of gammaCore have not been evaluated in the following patients:
- Adolescents with congenital heart defects
- Patients diagnosed with narrowing of the arteries (carotid atherosclerosis)
- Patients who have had surgery to cut the vagus nerve in the neck (cervical vagotomy)
- Pediatric patients (under 12 years old)
- Pregnant women
- Patients with clinically significant hypertension, hypotension, bradycardia, or tachycardia
For more information, visit gammaCore.com.
Forward looking statements
This press release may contain forward-looking statements under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, electroCore’s forward-looking statements, clinical plans, and product development plans; its pipeline or potential markets for its technologies; the timing, results and impact of regulatory, clinical and commercial developments; the grant of US and international patents providing extended coverage of intellectual property; the possibility of future business models and revenue streams from a potential combination of nVNS and smartphone or app technology; the availability and impact of payer coverage, the potential of nVNS in general and gammaCore in particular, and other statements that are not historical in nature, in particular those that use terminology such as “anticipates”, “expects”, “believes ”, “intends”, etc. words with a similar meaning, derivatives of such words and the use of dates in the future. Actual results may differ from those projected in any forward-looking statements due to a variety of factors. These factors include, but are not limited to, the ability to obtain additional funding necessary to continue electroCore’s operations, sales and marketing and product development plans, the uncertainty associated with the development of new products or technologies, the possibility of successful commercialization of gammaCore™, market competition. the industry in which electroCore operates and general market conditions. All forward-looking statements are made as of the date of this press release, and electroCore undertakes no obligation to update forward-looking statements or to update the reasons why actual results may differ from those projected in the forward-looking statements, except as necessary. in accordance with the law. Investors must refer to all information set forth in this document and must also refer to disclosures of risk factors set out in reports and other electroCore filings with the SEC available at www.sec.gov.