Manchester United completed the loan signing of Dutch international Wout Weghorst for the rest of the season on Friday to bolster Erik ten Hag’s striker options.
The 30-year-old had been on loan at Besiktas from Burnley, but the Turkish giants announced they had received €2.8m ($3m, £2.5m) to shorten that deal.
United have been short of strikers since Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract was terminated at Old Trafford in November.
Weghorst joined Burnley from Wolfsburg for £12m in January 2022, but scored just two Premier League goals as the Clarets were relegated last season.
However, he scored nine goals in 18 appearances for Besiktas and netted twice for the Netherlands in a thrilling World Cup quarterfinal against eventual champions Argentina last month.
“I feel privileged to join Manchester United,” Weghorst said in a club statement.
“I’ve seen United’s progress under Erik ten Hag this season and I can’t wait to start playing my role in pushing the team towards its goals.”
Weghorst did not register in time to play against Manchester City on Saturday.
But it will add additional depth with the Red Devils still involved in four contests.
“Wout has a consistent goalscoring record across a number of European leagues, and his attributes will add a new dimension to our team for the rest of the season,” United director of football John Murtough said.