Spanish court orders the preventive detention of Dani Alves on accusations of sexual assault

Spanish court orders the preventive detention of Dani Alves on accusations of sexual assault

A Spanish court ordered Brazilian defender Dani Alves to remain in custody without bail on Friday after he was arrested in Barcelona on allegations he sexually assaulted a woman.

A Barcelona judge took the measure after questioning the 39-year-old about “events that allegedly took place in a nightclub,” the court said in a statement.

A source close to the file said that the judge had taken the measure, which was requested by prosecutors, because the court considered that there was a risk that Alves tried to flee.

His club, the Pumas de México, announced hours later that it had fired the player for what it described as “just cause.”

Alves, one of soccer’s most successful players, was arrested on Friday after being summoned to a Barcelona police station and was later sent before a judge.

Catalan police said they received a complaint on January 2 from a woman who accused Alves of sexual assault.

The sexual assault charge in Spain can mean anything from unwanted and unsolicited sexual groping to rape.

Although the police refused to give details about the case, a source close to the investigation told AFP that Alves is accused of rape.

The woman reiterated her accusation before the judge on Friday, the source added.

The alleged sexual assault took place at a popular Barcelona nightclub during the night of December 30-31, according to Spanish media reports.

The ABC newspaper said Alves allegedly put his hands inside a woman’s underwear without her consent while she was dancing with friends and then followed her into the bathroom.

It is said that he reportedly informed the club’s security personnel, who activated the Barcelona City Council protocol against assaults and sexual harassment.

– ‘Nothing bad happened’ –

A Barcelona court said earlier this month that it had opened an investigation “for an alleged crime of sexual assault following a complaint filed by a woman against a soccer player.”

Alves confirmed that he was in the nightclub at the time but denied any wrongdoing, telling Spanish private channel Antena 3 earlier this month that he had “never seen” the woman before.

“I was there, in that place, with more people having fun. Everyone knows that I love to dance. Have a good time but without invading other people’s space,” added the former Barcelona, ​​Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain player.

His wife, the Spanish model Joana Sanz, told Antena 3 in an interview on January 9 that her husband had gone out “to dinner with friends, to disconnect a little” on December 30.

“He went out dancing and tried to enjoy the music the way he likes, period. Nothing bad happened… I know how respectful he is,” he added.

Alves was on vacation in Barcelona after his participation in the World Cup in Qatar with Brazil.

He was the oldest player to represent Brazil in the men’s World Cup.

In a phenomenally successful career, Alves made 408 caps for Barcelona, ​​391 of them in his first spell between 2008 and 2016.

During that early period, he won six La Liga titles, three Champions League crowns, and four Copa del Rey trophies.

Alves joined PSG in July 2017 on a free transfer after leaving Juventus and spent two years at the Qatar-owned French giants.

He was signed by the Pumas last July after leaving Barcelona for the second time.

Los Pumas, linked to the National Autonomous University of Mexico, said Friday they had terminated Alves’ contract.

“The club reiterates its commitment not to tolerate acts by any member of our institution, whoever they may be, that go against the university spirit and its values,” Pumas coach Leopoldo Silva told reporters.

bur-rs-al/ds/dr/mdl

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *